Friday, January 15, 2010

Indie? Caribbean? Got me there

Below: Sophie Wight of Scorch on INDIgroove TV


I must be the last to jump on this bandwagon, but I just discovered INDIgroove, this new initiative launched by.... well, I'm not actually sure who it's been launched by. Also, I've really got no idea who the host is. None of that matters, really- what matters is that they're video podcasts that give impressive little insights into the minds of some of Trinidad's most creative people.

I (and loads of people) have long been saying that in this country, we don't really have ways of documenting the efforts of people who do important things- preserving evidence of the thoughts and work and experiences of people in it seems almost every creative field never seems to be much of a priority (how will the kids of tomorrow really know, for example, what it was like growing up in Trinidad's rock scene, and what it was like going to that Victoria launch which turned out to be last show Tripped and Falling ever played?).

Good, then, that this creative resurgence we've been seeing in the past few years or so's been etched into permanence. Even better that anyone growing up as I did (feeling like a total outcast, wanting to ship myself out of here as quickly as possible to find other creative types who 'got' me) can quickly realize that access to talented, creative thinkers is closer than one thinks.

3 comments:

  1. I love that woman--I didn't even have a clue about that magazine or even INDIgroove TV...but now I know!

    She kinda makes me think that a magazine could work, but then, I dunno....Jamaica's kinda different I think, & like she said--magazines don't do well.

    Glad to see that something in the Caribbean that purports to be different is doing well. Good for them! If only College Lifestyle didn't send out a publication like every....ten years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that indigroove was started by terry smith and sean lenard from alice yard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Luis! I'll put it in the post

    ReplyDelete

 
 
Copyright © muthafuk
Design by Diovo.com