Saturday, January 16, 2010

Today, I walked.








Today, I decided to take a walk from my house in Maraval. I didn't really have an idea of where I'd walk to or where I'd end up- the idea was to pick up some batteries from a mini mart close to my house and to take pictures of anything that caught my eye. I borrowed my dad's fancy FujiFilm s6000 fd (almost a DSLR, but not quite) and I wanted to figure out how to use it, getting some good pictures along the way. I wanted to see how much Trinidad had changed and to see how I'd view familiar things differently as I've been away from the country for a while. But mostly, I wanted to do it because nobody I really know does it.

Walking through Maraval to my family and most people I know is a big taboo, and I can't really figure out why. For whatever reason, people like me (female, middle class? dunno) who are assumed to have access to a car aren't really expected to take walks places in this country. Why bother to walk when you can get a lift? What if you get robbed or kidnapped? Isn't it kind of hard walking down a hill anyway? Why would you want to do it alone? Are you crazy? Are you a tourist? etc etc. It strikes me as funny that people who claim to really know this country and align themselves with its culture haven't done something as simple and ordinary as walking its streets. Interesting.

After several comments from random males on my physical appearance, some weird looks from people in big cars, a couple of awkward but non-threatening encounters, and some sorrel and lemon italian ice from that new place near Tattoo Farm, I stopped at AudioCon, a music store on Long Circular Road, where I surprised a best friend who works there. He couldn't believe that I had walked all that way to meet him, and in a way, neither could I.

Statistics:

Distance walked: not sure
Time spent: about 30 mins- 45 mins
Encounters with suspicious security guards: 1
Encounters with people I'd rather have not seen: 3
# of said people I actually acknowledged: 2
Italian Ice: 1
# of Fruta Kool Kids Fruit Punch Juice drunk: 1
Comments received: Many
Best two: "Girl, you're real adorable."/ "Reds, if you were mine I would kiss you all over."
% of time spent wishing I was in a car: 0
# of borrowed expensive cameras stolen: 0

Pictures from the day above. Fuck you, UWI. I'm learning more about photography on my own.

1 comment:

  1. walking down a hill is actually somewhat fun to me, I think of it as exercise which doesn't necessarily kill me lol. Its the getting back up part which kills people usually which means you are a fitness buff so good for you!

    Interesting though about the walking part, it is so sad how now with the way Trinidad has become people are reduced to staying indoors for fear of even taking a walk through their own neighbourhood, even one supposedly of a 'higher standard of safety' like Maraval.

    Kudos to you for having the cajones to take your walk especially with that "borrowed expensive camera" lol but still I'm not looking to take a solitary stroll like that anytime soon

    One thing though how have you found Trinidad changed, if at all, since you've come back a little more worldly? - that'd be interesting to hear and was the walk really no big deal or did you have some hesitation?

    ReplyDelete

 
 
Copyright © muthafuk
Design by Diovo.com